jueves, 1 de diciembre de 2011

CHINA. MADE BY CHINESE.


A textile manufacturer decided to register the label “Made by Chinese” instead of the -according to him- ‘not so welcome’ Made in China. I believe this is an excellent example of how China is changing. Likewise this businessman, China is turning from undeveloped to up-developing country. Everywhere you go you can see proofs of modern infrastructure. Buildings, roads, stadiums, parks are done at a huge scale all around. New technology gets now to any single corner. University and college campus are simply massive. And the main points of tourist interest receive rivers of mainly inner visitors but also more and more overseas and worldwide backpackers.

Indeed getting to Beijing was exciting. From the plane you see how large it is. There are many Chinese tourists and some foreigners all over. Tian’an men square is, once more, immense. So is the Forbidden City, however I was not so impressed there as at the Great Wall. You can go to several gates. Despite it took me hours to arrive there (using local public transport is both madness and funny), I followed Carol and Lole’s suggestion and went to Mutianyu. The fact that I was a bit far and the misty day, provoked we were just a very few visitors which was wonderfully weir. The wall it is amazing. I even took a toboggan ride on the way down. Then Summer Palace became a star on the trip due to the place itself and the company of Hongyan (my friend Liu,’s friend) who told me so many good things about this challenging China. After Beijing, I took the night train to Xian. I was the only foreigner in the train so I became the attraction there. A bit of English there, a bit of Chinese there (Graci luckily gifted me a conversation guide book) and smiles and mimic&gestures brought along a memorable night with many jokes, nice comments and even gift exchange.

Xian, a forgotten city before a field worker found some terracotta soldiers while looking for a water well, is also a nice and cosy city. Besides, the Terracota Soldiers Camp is breathtaking. Soooooo many and well preserved despite they are 18 centuries old. Despite it was no my first idea, I afterwards travelled to Shanghai (or was it Manhattan?) where I had the honor to stay in Lole, David, Enrique & Spiderman’s home. So well treated by this Jaen-Málaga family who decided to work abroad three years ago. Many thanks, once more. Next stop was Shenzhen. Many people asked me why to go there as there is nothing to see. But I knew there was a lot to meet. And I was not wrong. Neither were them. Not many sites to see but I had the chance of playing basketball with university students, I shared  a day tour with another guy called Juan, I enjoyed living for four days with Liang and met his wife and I had a lovely day also with Liu. All of it organized by my friend Liu Qiong, professor at the Shenzhen Universtity who did ease my way in China a lot. Millions of Xié xie, Liu. The last days I stayed in my first (of many oncoming) youth hostel, in Kunming. From there I have been to the stunning Stone Forest in Shilin and two peaceful days in Dali where I, by mistake, joined a family meeting celebrating a girl birth. I could not leave until I ate and drank a lot, despite they did not speak a single word of English… Really great.

Fast China goes, fast Chinese people go. Coming from quiet and supra-respectful Japan, when you arrive to China you really need to get to it. China runs its economy (inflation, growth, rates, employment, exchange rate…) beyond the rest of capitalist economies’ rules. Pollution world agreements, human rights, currency exchange policies are looked after but only after nation economy goals and government targets are achieved. First China, later we will see. Fair enough. This is somehow manifested in the people. Regulation at subways tell you “disembarking precedes embarking” but this will never happen. You better get off quickly; otherwise you will be pushed in again. In the street, green or red is same color for drivers. It will depend on the size, preferences for lorries and buses, then cars, then motorbikes and bikes and pedestrians better find their way. In the bus, people run to grab a seat, people talks loud on public spaces or means of transport, lining up is only for tourists… You may like or not, but it seems there is no other way. More than 1.300.000.000 citizens (add some illegal 50 millions) is a big lot and competition is around every corner whether the matter is insignificant like getting a bus seat and a restaurant table or crucial such as accessing a good job or getting a grant to study abroad. Indeed, when you are in China you have to add two more variables to your equation: distance (from subway station to station easily 1-2 kilometers; trains city to city may last 1-2 days) and population density (may have to wait two or three metro trains to get in at peak hours; have to book transports in advance to be on the safe side; popular restaurants will mostly take reservations only). This is China and this is why China nowadays speeds up. They are active, energetic, curious, ready to action, brave, hard workers (Sunday off, what is it?), tricky (naughty sometimes) and…. Millions!!. So that, who will stop this car now?

China goes really fast


But it also leaves somethings behind on the way to the top


Needless to say, this was my impression after only 3 weeks. By no mean, this could be taken very seriously as there is no time to know a country in such a short time. Furthermore a country so extended in so many ways.    
  Tips:

*I saw? = Beijing (Great Wall, Forbidden City, Summer Palace), Xian (Terra-Cota Warriors), Shanghai, Shenzhen, Kunming, Shilin (Stone forest), Dali

*I slept? = 7 daysinn hotels, night train hard sleepers, Lole & David’s apartment (xié xie), Liang Jiang’s (xié xie as well), youth hostel.

*I ate? = Sheep meat on fondue, pork meat, yangrou pomo (soup with lamp, onion, transparent tallarins, bread and more), hala tang soup, dumplings, you tiao (churros!!) and quadszo (¡pipas!) Beijing duck, sharp wing soup, flowers, pink eggs.

*Troubles? = Getting lost as lack of language understanding. Almost been robbed.

*I met? = Hongyan (Liu’s friend/cousin at Beijing) helped me a lot the first days. Also Ji Quin was a good asset in terms of hotel bookings. Lole & David kindly hosted me for two days (and paid for my drinks whenever I used to throw out my money on the street) Jiang Liang so friendly shared his apartment with me for some days. I even met someone called Juan like me. And Liu has looked after me the whole time spending a lot of time on the phone, on the web and praying for me. I am so glad we finally met 16 years later!! The family who invited me to lunch at their birth party.

*Like most? = There are many millions of Chinese people so all kind of. Most of them friendly, though. I had really good time and chats with some of them. The Great Wall and the Terra-cota Warriors. Summer palace chat and misty walkabout. Night train from Beijing to Xian. Xian Hui neighborhood. Stone forest. Chinese food. Peaceful stay in Dali.

*Disliked most? = Again many people and several of them trying to get money from you and will not help when looking for directions or assistance.

*Transport means? = Train, metro, taxi, bus, plane, tuc-tuc and walking.

*Side they drive? = Theoretically on the right despite the whole road is fine to go. Traffic lights are just decoration items; no mind which color.

*Bric-a-brac? = Many many people asked me to take pictures of me or with me. Look like western and there hardly bald people here so I was kind of attraction. I was led to a tea house and they tried to hugely overcharge me but did not eat the bone. Took the magnetic train to Shanghai Pudong airport that reaches 431 km/hour. Also, it is funny about the names. Juan is also a Chinese name so they get weir when I introduce myself. Also people here has an “English name” to make it easier for foreigner. It is not a phonetic or official translation but rather randomize name. I have met men called Jackie.

*My Prices? = Hotel room: 20 € (last days managed one for 6 a night). 1.000 km hard sleeper night train ticket: 37 €. Food: 3-5 €. Bottle of water: 0,3 €. Taxi /10 minutes): 2 €. Metro: 25-50 €. Petrol: 87 cents/l. 

5 comentarios:

  1. "Buenas. Siento el retraso pero razones técnicas y de tiempo tienen la culpa. Tanto que, tía Pili, creo que se quedó obsoleto tu comentario. En algun tren cama me he dejado un par de kilos mínimo. Manolo, aquí salió en "La Opinión de Shanghai" que el torneo fue un éxito: tres participantes y uno no puedo acudir es la traducción en mandarín. Ilde, totalmente de acuerdo contigo, incalculable añadido el de los "expatriados". Sandra, gracias por la nota, me parece buena idea. Ya está mi asesora también en ello, pero todas las ideas son bienvenidas.... Cuando leais esto estaré camino de Vietnam en bus-cama...

    BC"

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Me hubiese gustado verte en esa fiesta familiar del bebé...con el niño cogido en brazos y todo el mundo pendiente de lo que hacías... jo, eso es para verlo!!!!
    La foto de la Ciudad Prohibida es una maravilla.
    Ahora a por Vietnam, y yo que tendría que estar ahí... ay! alguien quiere mi visado...??? jajaja
    Besos rey y buen camino. (L...)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Me gustaría contestarte en inglé, pero aún no lo domino.....¡ estamos de vuelta de la Davis, que por cierto ha sido una pasada. Un beso muy fuerte y suerte en Vietnam

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Pues ayer llego al hotel de Hanoi y estaban poniendo en la tele el último set del partido de Nadal y ya lo pude ver. Graci, haberlas haylas, pero a buen recaudo, por si acaso... Pili, se me pasó contestar a un comentario muy oportuno tuyo. En efecto, en Europa (generalizando en exceso y con sus peculiaridades, claro) todo es bastante homogéneo. Y en ambas Américas. Quizá África también sea distinto. Pero es que Asia es una amalgama de culturas enorme. Dejando a un lado la Asia árabe y la siberiana, tienes conjuntamente a culturas tan dispares como Nepal, Buthán, China, Vietnam, Japón, Tailandia... Todo un puzle de color.

    BC

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Hola Diego, ten cuidado donde pisas que en Vietnam creo que todavía hay "premios" debajo del suelo. Me alegro que Lole y David te trataran tan bien, son gente encantadora.
    Por favor traeme una camiseta que ponga "alguien que te quiere mucho te ha traído esta camiseta de Vietnam" que ya sólo me faltan la de Toledo, Almendralejo y Vietnam
    Un abrazo y cuídate "que vienen los charlies..."

    ResponderEliminar

Este blog está hecho por mí pero para ti, así que estás invitado/a a escribir lo que quieras