lunes, 30 de enero de 2012

SINGAPORE. IS THIS ASIA?



-          Excuse me, do you speak English?

-          Yes, of course, we are in Singapore

-          Humm, I am a bit lost and I wonder if you can help me.

-          Of course, tell me how, please.

-          Well, I was in Southeastern Asia a few hours back, then took a train and a bus and ended up here and I seem I am in another location.

-          Indeed you’re in Singapore, a small island South Malaysia. Why do you think you are not in Asia?

-          Because things seem to be different in so many aspects since I crossed to the island. I mean, people dress in a far more western style, roads, buildings and signposts are new everywhere (I mean, they exist!!), many western shops and restaurants, luxury all around, mansions, sport cars…

-          Yes, but still green is the predominant color, weather is hot, we also have Little India and Chinatown, many types of Asian food…

-          Correct, but in the rest of Asia where I’ve been, people show up curious, they look at you at the eyes, smile or make laughs at you, there is kind of more communication. Here people appear to me as more independent and self-attendant. Again, clocks and time recover their importance in people’s agenda of the day. I’d say it reminds me a lot to my place.

-          You must see it as a place where western people can easily accommodate and integrate because this habitat and, at the same time, can live in a different scenario. Or as a peak of the Asian ability to grow and develop within the global environment.

-          Indeed you’re right. However, it shocks me that pedestrians obey traffic-lights, prices are fixed, buses arrive at the accurate schedule times, and streets, bathrooms and shops are so clean!!

-          Where did you say you are from?

-          Spain.

-          Ah, yes. Where unemployment and crisis are the main movie actors nowadays, aren’t they?

-          That’s the one.

-          I think that for you Europeans, Asia’s image is confusing.

-          Certainly, that has been my major surprise during my trip.

-          I’m glad you see it. Asia is wrongly conceived as one identity and - likewise Spaniards differ from Danes or Greeks- has many. Siberia, Japan, China, India, Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines are completely different from each other.

-          Add Singapore.

-          Of course.

-          Nevertheless, do not misunderstand me, but I prefer the Asian soul I felt in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand…

-          Probably for a trip like the one you are doing.

-          What do you mean?

-          I reply with a question: where would you live?

-          Humm, taught question. A good friend of mine would love to live here if that’s a valid answer.

-          Many people would. That is why Singapore must exist.

-          Fair enough. Thanks a lot. I am sorry if I stole your valued time.

-          You are welcome. You didn’t.

-          I hope you do not mind I transmit this to my people.

-          Of course not. In fact, words are one of the very few things that are not subject to taxes in this country. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

-          Have a good day and happy New Chinese Year.

4 comentarios:

  1. Hola Diego, ayer estuvimos de onlimen y lo pasamos genial, chínchate que estuvimos en el Indiana, jejejeje

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Han conseguido hacer uno sin tí... son todos unos campeones!!! jajaja... aunque has tenido que chinchar un poquito desde tan lejos... ;-P

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Vaya, si lo sé cojo el primer vuelo para la Plaza de Uncibay... De todas formas, os habéis portado como unos campeones y habéis conseguido salir. Muy bien, esto mejora. Voy a tener que volver no vaya a ser que la metamorfosis siga y no pueda alcanzaros...

    ResponderEliminar

Este blog está hecho por mí pero para ti, así que estás invitado/a a escribir lo que quieras